Monday, July 11, 2016

It's Monday--What Are You Listening To?

Summertime greetings, guys! What sort of fun activities are you doing? Swimming? Baseball?  Movies? Traveling? I certainly hope you're doing more than playing video games all day and night! (it's OK to do that but there's so much more fun stuff out there) I hope you're finding fun stuff to read as well. And if you are traveling or even just getting driven around town to camps/sports/etc., one of the most fun things you can do in the car is listen to audiobooks. That's what the Iron Guy loves to do. If I'm driving to work or even just going to the store, I'll always have an audiobook going. It's great fun and I get to hear some truly cool stuff. That's why this post is called It's Monday--What Are You Listening To? A bunch of grownups host a weekly meme called It's Monday--What Are You Reading? but I thought I'd change it and give it an audiobook focus. (btw, you can find that meme at Teaching Mentor Texts)

So what am I listening to? The Serpent's Curse by the amazing Tony Abbott. It's book number two in that incredible series, The Copernicus Legacy. I'm a HUGE fan of those books. Action! Danger! International conspiracies and 500-year-old secrets! Plus some spectacularly evil villains and generous dashes of humor. So when I saw the library has audiobook versions, I knew I HAD to check out one. I'm only on disc 2 so far but I'm enjoying it a lot. The actor who reads this book, MacLeod Andrews, paces the reading just right to get the maximum suspense and humor out of the story. (especially when he reads the part with Dr. Beverly Billing...ham, one of the funniest episodes in any book from the last couple of years!) And he gets the voices just right too--the kids sound like kids and the villains--well, you couldn't find more perfectly-done voices for all those smooth or brutal or bone-chillingly frightening bad guys. If you're going to spend some time in the car, find these Copernicus Legacy audiobooks! You will get hooked and you may even find yourselves sitting in your driveways at the end of your trips because you just have to listen to a few minutes more!!



7 comments:

Linda B said...

I used to have a longer commute, but unless I'm really going out of town, I am too close to anything to listen to audios, but will look for these books anyway. They sound like books I will recommend to various teachers who'll pass them on to students. Thanks!

Kellee Moye (@kelleemoye) said...

I don't know this Tony Abbott book, but I have read his City of the Dead book, and it is one that I still book talk because students love the premise, and it is just creepy enough!

Happy reading this week :)

Ms. Yingling said...

Hmmm. Will have to look for these. Why don't I already have them? Nit on audio, though- I can't stand listening to books!

Iron Guy Carl said...

Check out The Copernicus Legacy books, everyone. And read them yourselves. You'll like them. Very intelligent. Mysteries abound!

Anonymous said...

This series is great to recommend to his fans who grew up with his beginning reader series who are ready for something longer.

Jane said...

Audiobooks are such a great suggestion for summer reading - great for those long drives to visit relatives or go camping!

Iron Guy Carl said...

Both of you are so right!