Monday, March 13, 2017

It's Monday--What Am I Reading? Sports Books, Of Course!

There's a great meme out there called It's Monday--What Are You Reading? in which a lot of kidlit bloggers talk about what they are currently reading or have read in the last week. (you can find out more at Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers) The Iron Guy has been so busy lately that he hasn't had a chance to review anything but he hates to go a long time without talking to you, so here are a few things I'm looking at now:

Legends: The Best Players, Teams and Games in Basketball by Howard Bryant

It's March and the thoughts of young men, middle-aged men, boys and old geezers turn to BASKETBALL! The regional tournaments have just finished and the Madness is about to begin, so what subject could be better than roundball? I've read the first chapter and it's really good--among other things, it talks about Wilt Chamberlain, the only player to have scored 100 points in a single game. And this was in days before three points shots! I've read Mr. Bryant's books about football and baseball, enjoyed them a lot and I think I'll enjoy this one too.



Soccer and Soccer on Sunday by Mary Pope Osborne

All guys, especially younger reader guys, know how addicting The Magic Tree House books are. Ms. Osborne has also written some nonfiction books to go along with them. I read the Soccer book and learned a lot. Can't wait to read the Soccer on Sunday book because it's about Pele, soccer's greatest star.





OK, everyone, this is my check in. Now tell me--what are YOU reading? The Iron Guy and all the other reader guys out there want to know! Hit that Comment button under this post and let us know.

7 comments:

Cheriee Weichel said...

I love that The Magic Treehouse pairs up those fiction and nonfiction titles. At my school I found that boys were more interested in nonfiction titles about sports, than fiction. Is this normal?

Iron Guy Carl said...

Yes, it is. Boys, as a general rule--there are always exceptions, of course--love sports, so they naturally like to read about them. They will also enjoy fiction once you learn what sort of fiction they like. In my elementary years, I read nonfiction exclusively until a school librarian told me, "Get out of the numbers" and handed me a copy of The Spaceship Under the Apple Tree and started a lifelong love of sci-fi. But it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been such an avid nonfiction reader. I'm a big believer in starting boys with they love and finding books to come along with. Once they start reading regularly, you can always recommend more things.

Nikki Lutzke said...

Great timing here! I love the sports theme being that March Madness is here! A good teacher is a good thief...I hope it's ok that I take your idea and run with it! I'll be back to check this blog out Iron Guy Carl!

Iron Guy Carl said...

Please take it and run as long as you'd like! Please keep in touch and show this blog to your boys.

Nikki Lutzke said...

Will do! My boys are always in need of great suggestions for their "on deck" books.

GatheringBooks said...

This is definitely my reading gap.

cleemckenzie said...

I'm taking notes because I have several boys in our family who will only read books about sports.